Monday, September 20, 2010

Lemon-Lime Iced Tea


Its almost the end of September but the temperature in NYC is still in the late 70's early 80's so its still perfect weather to enjoy a cold glass of iced tea. I'm not talking about that powdered over sweetened stuff you can buy on supermarket shelves but the even tastier kind you can make just as quickly yourself. Don't get me wrong I used to enjoy the hell outta instant ice tea as a kid but as I grew and my taste refined I moved away to freshly brewed tea. Today I want to share a very simple recipe for iced tea you can make in   about 20 minutes.

Lemon-Lime Ice Tea
2 quarts boiling hot water
2 quarts cold water
10 black tea bags (I used tetley)
3/4 cup fresh lemon and lime juice
handful of fresh mint and lemon verbena leaves, optional but strongly recommended
sweetener to taste (sugar, splenda, honey, etc)

1. In a gallon sized pitcher throw in mint and lemon verbena leaves if using along with tea bags.
2. Add in hot water and steep the leaves and tea for around 10 minutes
3. Remove tea bags and leaves
4. Add in lemon lime juice and sweeten to taste
5. Slices of fresh lemon and lime can be used for garnish
6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment