Saturday, July 30, 2011

Whole Wheat Hamburger Rolls.


Eating hamburgers in my house always leaves us with the same dilemma all the time...large burger and small bun. The veggie and salmon burgers we usually buy are a bit larger than the standard hamburger buns sold in the supermarket. This summer I have tried to make hamburgers buns twice. The first time I tried a recipe from king arthur flour but the results were almost to flat to split. My second attempt yielded much better results. I also started keeping boiled potato water to make my bread with as I've heard it works as a natural preservative for bread and gives you a softer loaf.  The recipe I used was from allrecipes.com. I tweaked the recipe by using part whole wheat flour, raw turbinado sugar, and potato water. The substitutions made is part of my plan to eat a lil bit healthier everyday but you can definitely follow the original recipe if you like.  These lovely buns came out large enough to accommodate a 4-5inch burger, with incredible softness, and a beautiful crust. If your wondering why they aren't shiny like most hamburger buns that's because I didn't use any egg wash..my family doesn't care for it, but Ill post it in the recipe so that you have the option of using it. 

Whole Wheat Hamburger Rolls
Makes 12 rolls

1 cup milk
1 cup potato water or regular water
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour*
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour*
1 1/2 cups bread flour*
2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp water


- Warm milk, water, sugar, salt, and butter in saucepan.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine flour(s) and yeast.
- Pour milk mixture into flour and mix on low speed with dough hook attachment until soft uniform ball forms.
- Place dough into a greased bowl, cover and let rise one hour.
- After one hour punch down dough and divide into twelve equal portions.
- Shape dough into rolls and after 1 minute press down each roll with the palm of your hand. 
- Place rolls on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Let rise until doubled in size.
- While rolls are rising heat oven to 400 degrees.
- If using egg wash  mix yolk and tbsp water together, brush on top of rolls.
- Place rolls in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Serve with your favorite burger!


* I mixed different flours together but the original recipe uses entirely all purpose flour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment