caramel brownies I made the other day, check those lovely grooves filled with caramel goodness!
Thursday, September 8, 2011
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
- Measure out ingredients so that for every cup of oil you have 1tbsp achiote seeds.
- Put saucepot over low heat with amount of oil and seeds to be used.
- Cook oil over low heat stirring occasionally.
- When oil reaches a beautiful sunset red/orange color and seeds have darkened you can remove pot from heat.
- After oil has cooled, strain the seeds out and funnel into bottle to be stored in.
- Store at room temp or in refrigerator if concerned about pathogens.
**I had 2.5 cups of achiote oil stored at room temp for just over three weeks with no spoilage. I am no food scientist so keep refrigerated for a 3 week maximum if you have concerns.