Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Citrus Shrimp


I love General Tso's Shrimp from my favorite chinese food takeout place here in Brooklyn. I was never able to copy their style of frying shrimp but I think I have found out.  I recently tried out and put my own spin on an orange marmalade shrimp recipe I found at serious eats. I didnt have all the necessary ingredients on hand so I had to substitute. This recipe calls for all orange flavors but I had to use some lemon zest and juice instead of orange. I When I first made the recipe it tasted a little to tangy but then after it sat five minutes the sweetness of the marinade and the shrimp blended beautfully with the lemons tartness. I will try the original recipe one day but today Im posting my substitutions. I served this shrimp along with my other cristmas dinner fare and it was one of the most popular dishes on the table.


Citrus Shrimp 
2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup canola oil 
2 cloves garlic, grated 
2 scallions, thinly sliced on the angle, plus extra for garnish 
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes 
1 teaspoon lemon zest 
1/4 cup orange marmalade 
2 teaspoons of honey 
1/4 cup soy sauce 
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, plus 6 tablespoons 
Kosher Salt 
2 pounds 11-15 count shrimp, peeled and deveined, dried on a paper towel 

- Heat 2 teaspoons canola oil in small skillet over medium heat. When oil just shimmers, add garlic, scallions, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest and cook until fragrant, less than a minute.
- Immediately add marmalade, honey, and soy sauce to skillet. Allow to bubble for 1 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use small whisk to combine the fresh lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch in small bowl. Add slurry to skillet and whisk continuously for 1 final minute until sauce is thick. Set aside.
- Toss dry shrimp with remaining cornstarch and pinch of salt. Heat remaining canola oil in wok over medium heat until lightly smoking. Fry shrimp six at a time until orange, curled, and slightly crisp, about 2 minutes, turning once half way through cooking. Drain on paper towel. Repeat for all 4 batches. Add more oil if necessary.
- Toss shrimp with orange sauce. Garnish with fresh scallions and orange zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment