When you first look at it you may think the tiny pellets are rice but they are actually little pasta noodles. I cant recall the first time I had orzo but from the first time I ate it, its been a staple in my home. Orzo can be cooked in boiling water like most any pasta or done in a pilaf method which is my favorite. For this orzo recipe the ingredient list is simple just orzo pasta, salt, pepper, vegetable bouillon cubes, stock/broth, broccoli, grapeseed/olive oil, and additional water.
|The Dream Team|
Orzo Pasta with Broccoli
1lb orzo pasta
4tbsp grapeseed oil
1 shallot minced
1/2 bulb garlic, peeled and minced
1qt vegetable stock
1 vegetarian bouillon cube
20 oz fresh or frozen chopped broccoli
salt and pepper to taste
grated parmesan (optional)
- Set large saucepan over medium/high fire and add in oil and butter.
- add shallots and garlic to pan, sauté for 2 minutes
- add in orzo pasta and sauté for an additional minute
- add in stock and bouillon cube, lower heat to medium/low
- cover pot and let it cook for 10-15 minutes
- add in broccoli, salt, pepper, and replace cover, add in additional water in necessary
- let cook on low until done.