Since I could not think of anything more creative to name the cookies will stick with chocolate surprise. This is a take on my favorite shortbread cookie, but with the alterations it comes in as a cross between a sugar cookie and butter cookie without all the extra ingredients such as eggs, baking soda, etc. The cookies came about from hours and endless calories of experimentation. These cookies are too yummy for words, they just melt in your mouth and the chocolate is truly a welcomed surprise and if your a coffee drinker I recommend that you sit down with a few and your favorite cup of espresso.
Chocolate Surprise Shortbread Cookies
1lb unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 cups flour
4oz Ghirardelli semi sweet baking bar
1. Combine sugar and butter in mixer until fluffy, add in vanilla and beat for one more minute
2. add in flour and mix on medium low until combined.
3. Using a cookie scoop or your hand, scoop half of the dough you need for one cookie, add a piece of chocolate to the center then cover with some more dough to finish the cookie.
4. Continue shaping out all your cookies and lay them on a sheet pan to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
5. While the cookies are in the fridge preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare your baking pan. (if you have a large enough fridge you can lay you cookie balls to chill on the sheet you will bake it on)
6. After 15 minutes have passed remove your cookies from the fridge and bake in the oven until cookies are browned on the edges, about 15 minutes.
7. remove pan from oven but don't remove cookies right away, allow cookies to sit for about a minute to firm up and then remove with a spatula.
8. Cool cookies on a rack and then move to cookie jar or container.