Thursday, September 30, 2010

Change of plans

Some brown rice, whole grain quinoa, and organic tortillas from whole foods.

Everyone that knows me knows that I am a long time foodie. I've had a passionate love affair with food as long as I can remember. My mom tells me I learned to read at the age of 3 and ventured into cooking soon after. I climbed on my step stool and cooked until I was tall enough to reach the stove, baked cakes for Christmas when I was 7, and made spaghetti bolognese that I still reminisce about even though I don't eat beef. When I cook I sing and it makes me happy, when I'm sad I cook to lift my spirits, when I'm happy I eat, and when I'm sad I eat. I take pleasure in reading my favorite food publications and websites to keep abreast of trends and openings and when money is flowing I take even greater pleasure in sitting down to a good meal at a great restaurant. So now that I have poured out my food lovin' soul to you, I have to confess that I cannot continue in my hungry hungry hippo ways of devouring all goodies in sight. Its not good for me and my waistline and I have a gym regimen to keep up with so too many extra calories are not gonna be conducive to the plan. With that said I have constantly been trying to keep bad food out of my diet ( minus all the sinfully good things I make at home :) and have gradually switched from conventional milk to organic, cage free/organic eggs, wild caught fish when I can afford it, and overall just switching out conventional grocery items in my home for all natural or organic when I can. In an effort to lose some more weight for an upcoming trip to Trinidad W.I for carnival I am considering going partial vegan and gluten free and upping my workout regimen when I can. I do have my doubt about this whole plan that's why it hasn't happen as yet...for instance is this food going to be as yummy as what I'm used to is my main concern for this discerning palette of mine. I have done my research and started going through the vegan and gluten free cooking blogs and have started buying ingredients to try out. I hope this wont be too much of a challenge for me and as I try recipes I will keep you all updated on my successes and failures. Hopefully it wont be too much of the latter.

2 comments:

  1. I know sugar & wheat can be a big culprit in weight gain. Try my friend, Stella's blog
    http://thewitchykitchen.blogspot.com/ you will find lots of healthy, yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kay I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete