Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cookie Brownies


This is actually a take on my favorite brownie recipe from Baking Bite. I think this recipe is actually on her blog but I didn't look for it so I just decided to try to make it on my own. It doesn't take anything extra except some sandwich cookies broken up into pieces such as Oreos, Newman's Own, or Joe Joe's.
I used candy cane Joe Joe's from Trader Joe's which contain little pieces of candy canes. While I had the brownie mix preparing on the stove I began crushing the cookies by hand in a separate bowl. When the batter was finished I just mixed in the cookies...baking time. I hoped that everyone would like this deviation since  normally don't mix in anything to my brownies but I said they all love Joe Joe's so it should be a hit. After they cooled and were cut I bit into them and you could definitely taste the mint and the cookies added a slightly crunchier texture to the brownies. I wasn't a big fan of them but my family gobbled up the DOUBLE BATCH in two days! I guess that facts speaks for them more than I ever could.


Peppermint Cookie Brownies
1 cup unsalted butter
8oz unsweetened chocolate
2 1/2 cups sugar
3tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cup crushed cookies

- Preheat oven to 400 and line a 17in brownie pan with foil or parchment paper
- melt butter and chocolate in sauce pot
- whisk in sugar, salt, and vanilla
- whisk in eggs one at a time
- whisk in flour
- add in crushed cookies
- pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes 
- while brownies are in the oven prepare a ice bath to put pan in to instantly cool brownies.
- when brownies cool, cut and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment