Sunday, November 28, 2010

Lemon Pappardelle and pan seared snapper.


I go to school downtown Brooklyn not far from the only trader joes for the borough. Its not uncommon for me to take a cool walk down court street to visit my favorite markets...Sahadi's, A Cooks Companion, and Trader Joes. When I visited Trader Joes a couple weeks ago I picked up their lemon pepper pappardelle pasta to try out. The day that I thought of cooking it I had no idea how to prepare it but the packaging said its so flavorful that it just needed a little olive oil and salt so I decided to work around that. I chopped up some shallots, garlic and fresh herbs from my garden such as basil, parsley, and oregano and placed them to the side. After I put the pasta to boil I strained it and ran it under some cold water to shock it and placed it to the side as well. I also had some fish defrosting that was seasoned with green seasoning so I planned to let that accompany my pasta. I wasn't entirely sure how this would all come out but I was just hoping for a yummy filling meal.  I heated my saute pan and made all my herbs and aromatics sizzle and tossed in the pasta with some olive oil and Voila!!...the pasta was a palatable success! The fish I decided to keep simple and sear in grapeseed oil and that was another success. Lunch was ready in about a half hour and my tummy was thankful. If your ever in trader joes check out that lemon pappardelle in the pasta aisle and I can promise that you wont be disappointed.

Lemon Pepper Pappardelle with Pan Seared Snapper

Half package of pappardelle, about 4oz, boiled and shocked
1 shallot, small diced
4 cloves garlic, small diced
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh basil, chopped
1tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp oregano, chopped
2 pieces snapper, steak cut
2 tbsp green seasoning, fresh or store bought
1 1/2 tbsp grapseed oil
salt and pepper to taste

- Place large saute pan under medium/high heat, add 1tbsp of olive oil 
- When oil is hot but not smoking add in garlic and shallots and saute until clear
- Add in pasta to garlic and shallots, toss for 1 minute
- Add in fresh herbs and remaining olive oil and cook until hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, cover and set aside
- In a next saute pan under medium/high heat add in grapeseed oil. 
- Rub in green seasoning to fish steaks
- By this time oil should be extremely hot so proceed to add steaks to the pan carefully to avoid getting burned.
- Leave steaks to brown on one side about 2-3 minutes then flip them and let the other side brown for the same time.
- Turn off heat from under fish.
- Serve immediately

No comments:

Post a Comment