Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spicy Butter Rum Pan Seared Tilapia


Spicy butter rum pan seared tilapia...that's a long name ain't it!? Whew!
It is long but it accurately describes the entire dish. Tilapia is a pretty new fish to the pink room kitchen. I only started to cook with with it regularly a few months ago after having a bad experience with it as a teenager. The short version of the story is that one time my mom brought home tilapia fillets from one of our local supermarkets and when we put the fish to cook it reeked of BLEACH!!!! This isn't something unheard of in fish markets and you really have to get your fish from a reputable fishmonger. I have a good rapport with my local fish market and they always suggest really good fish. One day the fish I was looking for wasn't available and they suggested I try tilapia so I went for it. I've been in love with it since.  So far I have only been pan searing it but ill venture into new cooking techniques with tilapia eventually. Today's recipe only uses a few ingredients and its pretty quick which makes it perfect for weeknights. I have mentioned my love for Trader Joe's Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar before but if you don't want to go all the way to TJ's you can just use red/white wine vinegar that should be available in most supermarkets.
I love this stuff!
 I made this recipe twice using two different dark rums from my family's island of Trinidad. I first use Angostura 1919 and then I used the very newly available(only in Trinidad) Angostura Single Barrel rum. I personally like the recipe using the single barrel more but only by a very little bit. You don't have to limit yourself to these rums that I mentioned(granted I would like you to and to support the Trinidadian products) you can use any dark rum you have on hand. I ate this fish with brown rice and sauteed greens but you can serve this your favorite green salad to keep things light. Oh..and why not use the extra rum to mix up a Caribbean cocktail to accompany this awesome dish. Enjoy!

Spicy Butter Rum Pan Seared Tilapia
Serves 2
2 Tilapia fillets
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup orange champagne muscat vinegar(or other kind)
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp canola oil
1 large tomato chopped
2 tbsp rum

- marinate tilapia fillets in lime juice, vinegar, green seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt for a half hour to an hour.
- heat butter and oil in  nonstick skillet over high heat until butter starts to turn slightly brown.
- add in fish fillets immediately along with marinade liquid.
- cook fish for 3 minutes on the first side and then flip to finish the fish.
- tomatoes can be added in now
- cook fish for another 3 minutes or until fully opaque and turn off the stove.
- immediately pour the 2 tablespoons of rum over the fish.
- serve as soon as possible

No comments:

Post a Comment