I'm all for simple, cute, yumminess and I found all of that in this recipe. The original recipe called to bake the batter as a bar recipe but I just felt the need to deviate. I thought it would be easier to bake the recipe in cups as it increases it's portability, there is less clean up, and no need to cut perfect serving squares. I also found this recipe was very easy to put together...one pot in fact. It reminded me of my brownie recipe in that you just whisk everything right in one pot. I did make some changes to the original recipe outside of baking them in cups; since the author said her bars were too sweet I switched out most of the granulated sugar for light brown sugar, I also melted and mixed everything in the same pot, increased the vanilla, and finally I only used certain color M&M's to go with the theme of the holiday which is red and blue...wish I had some white though..oh well. I bought my M&M's from the corner store and the packs they carry don't have white but if you want to make this extra special you can get white color M&M's (or any color for that matter) from M&M's World stores in New York, Orlando, or Las Vegas. If those locations aren't close to you you can order online from My M&M's. As for the fourth of july themed cupcake cups they were at Target for just a $1! This recipe should take no more than 45 to make including a couple minutes to cool. I also want to say this recipe can be made for any occasion by just switching the color M&M's you use. I cant stress how perfect these are for your pool party, beach day, or barbecue! Enjoy making these and happy fourth from the Cupcake Criminal and family!
|Good to the last bite!!!|
M&M Cookie Cups
Adapted from Stephaniecooks.blogspot.com
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Red and Blue M&M's
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, and place 8 cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
- In small bowl combine flour and baking powder, set to the side
- In small sauce pot melt butter and then whisk/stir in both white and brown sugars.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly for just a few minutes, then whisk/stir in egg and vanilla.
- Now stir in flour mixture just until no streaks of flour are left and mixture looks uniform.
- Divide batter equally among cupcake liners and place in oven, baking for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove cookie cups from the oven and place desired amount of M&M's on top each cup.
- Place cookie cups back in oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes. (I did 10)
- Remove cups from muffin tin and allow to cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
Yields 8 cookie cups or bars
**If you want to make this into a bar recipe just bake in a foil lined 8x8in pan.