Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fourth of July M&M Cookie Cups


I'm all for simple, cute, yumminess and I found all of that in this recipe. The original recipe called to bake the batter as a bar recipe but I just felt the need to deviate. I thought it would be easier to bake the recipe in cups as it increases it's portability, there is less clean up, and no need to cut perfect serving squares. I also found this recipe was very easy to put together...one pot in fact. It reminded me of my brownie recipe in  that you just whisk everything right in one pot. I did make some changes to the original recipe outside of baking them in cups; since the author said her bars were too sweet I switched out most of the granulated sugar for light brown sugar, I also melted and mixed everything in the same pot, increased the vanilla, and finally I only used certain color M&M's to go with the theme of the holiday which is red and blue...wish I had some white though..oh well. I bought my M&M's from the corner store and the packs they carry don't have white but if you want to make this extra special you can get white color M&M's (or any color for that matter) from M&M's World stores in New York, Orlando, or Las Vegas. If those locations aren't close to you you can order online from My M&M's. As for the fourth of july themed cupcake cups they were at Target for just a $1! This recipe should take no more than 45 to make including a couple minutes to cool. I also want to say this recipe can be made for any occasion by just switching the color M&M's you use. I cant stress how perfect these are for your pool party, beach day, or barbecue! Enjoy making these and happy fourth from the Cupcake Criminal and family!

Good to the last bite!!!
M&M Cookie Cups
Adapted from Stephaniecooks.blogspot.com

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Red and Blue M&M's

- Heat oven to 350 degrees, and place 8 cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
- In small bowl combine flour and baking powder, set to the side
- In small sauce pot melt butter and then whisk/stir in both white and brown sugars.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly for just a few minutes, then whisk/stir in egg and vanilla.
- Now stir in flour mixture just until no streaks of flour are left and mixture looks uniform.
- Divide batter equally among cupcake liners and place in oven, baking for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove cookie cups from the oven and place desired amount of M&M's on top each cup.
- Place cookie cups back in oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes. (I did 10)
- Remove cups from muffin tin and allow to cool for a few minutes and enjoy!

Yields 8 cookie cups or bars

**If you want to make this into a bar recipe just bake in a foil lined 8x8in pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment