Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hello Yellow: Lemon White Chocolate Cupcakes


Yellow is one of those colors that just scream summer. I means whats yellow? The sun, lemons, sunflowers, corn roasting on the grill, pineapple italian ices...I could go on forever but that would lead to my brain into a food frenzy and leave me drooling on myself like Homer Simpson. Oh yea...back to the lemons. So the focus of this post is on the buttery, sweet, lemony, white chocolate goodness that I baked yesterday afternoon. The recipe was adapted from One Perfect Bite and tweaked to reflect what I had in stock. The recipe calls for key limes but I used lemons instead since white chocolate and lemons go well together. This recipe was originally baked in a large 9x13inch pan but I opted to try it in a cupcake version.    I really liked this cake because personally I like dense moist cakes so I can definitely add this recipe to my favorites list. I also like this as a cute tea party cake; its not cloyingly sweet and there isn't any fussy frosting to deal with. I will try this recipe again in the original key lime form and compare. In the mean time I'll post my version for you all to enjoy. Also because I believe in shameless plugs...dont forget to order delicious treats for yourself or your next get together from Pink Room Caterers. Contact us at pinkroomcaterering@gmail.com

Lemon White Chocolate Cupcakes

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup white chocolate chips

Lemon Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with 16 cupcake liners. Set to the side.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl and set to the side.
- In separate mixing bowl (I used my kitchenaid) cream butter and sugar until fluffy. 
- Add in eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice and mix until well blended.
- With mixer on low begin adding in flour mix and buttermilk alternately until combined.
- Finally stir in white chocolate by hand.
- Divide batter equally amongst cupcake liners and place in oven.
- Bake 35-40 minutes.
- While cupcakes are in the oven begin making the lemon glaze by stirring together the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- After removing the cupcakes from the oven spread glaze evenly on top of all cupcakes.
- Sprinkle cupcakes with additional powdered sugar if desired. 
- Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment