Monday, July 18, 2011

New York Style Crumb Cake


One of my favorite desserts growing up used to be Entenmanns crumb cake, I would literally devour an entire crumb cake growing up. I haven't been able to find another commercially produced crumb cake that could match up with Entenmanns in my opinion. Since I am trying o cut down on food that I buy containing preservatives I don't really buy my beloved Entenmanns crumb cakes anymore. I mean I love the cake but I'm not a fan of the fact it can sit on a shelf for so long in a box and not go stale...like whats in that stuff???!!! Nowadays I have resorted to testing out different crumb cake recipes and seeing which one can win over my discerning palette. I have tried several recipes in the past some I like more than others..some tasted like complete garbage. Today ill focus on the New York style crumb cake from America's Test Kitchen. I like most America's Test Kitchen recipes since they try to take the great elements from several recipes and make one final recipe possessing all the desired traits of the other recipes. This recipe came together fairly quickly and I was so happy I had all the ingredients on hand so I didn't have to go to the store. I baked the cake for 45 minutes on 325 degrees because I really didn't want the cake to bake to quick and brown too much, I also didn't want the crumb topping to burn. I decided slow and steady wins the race so I would wait the extra time and bake at 325. It baked perfectly....I mean  the color was exceptional!
This cake had a really nice flavor and it was a crowd pleaser, Ill definitely bake again.

New York Style Crumb Cake
serves 9
Crumb Topping
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon (I used 1 tsp)
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 3/4 cup cake flour

- In medium bowl combine sugars, salt, and cinnamon, make sure there aren't any lumps.
- Add in melted butter and mix until smooth.
- Mix in flour until crumb forms.
- Set bowl to the side.

Cake
1 1/4 cup cake flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg + 1 yolk

- Heat oven to 325 degrees and prepare an square 8inch pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Combine cake flour, granulated sugar, salt, and baking soda in mixing bowl fitted with paddle attachment. 
- Combine buttermilk, vanilla, egg, and yolk. Set to the side.
- With mixer on medium speed add butter to flour mixture one tablespoon at a time. 
- Mix until small crumbs form and there are no big lumps of butter left.
- Add in buttermilk mixture and mix on medium speed until you have a smooth batter. 
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with crumb topping.
- Bake cake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester/toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and enjoy.

Recipe from America's Test Kitchen via Courtneysweets.com

No comments:

Post a Comment