Portuguese Sweet Bread
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp margarine or butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
3 cups bread
3/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
- Warm milk and margarine to no more than 100 degrees.
- Stir sugar into milk until dissolved and then add in yeast.
- While milk mixture sits add combine flour and salt in bowl of stand mixer.
- Make a well in the middle of te flour and place egg.
- Finally add in milk mixture to flour and attach the bowl to stand mixer.
- Mix on speed 2 with dough hook until a soft dough ball forms.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and let it rise for one hour.
- Punch down dough after one hour.*
- Place dough into a greased loaf pan or a round 9x3in cake pan.
- Let dough rise and additional half hour before placing in a 375 degree oven.
- Bake bread for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and baking pan, cool on a rack.
* Punching dough is the process of removing the CO2 that built up during the first rise by gently pressing your hand into the dough.