Saturday, September 25, 2010

Muenster Scallion Biscuits


This was my take on an already existing recipe utilizing ingredients I could easily get in my neighborhood supermarket. The recipe was from Smitten Kitchen (I love the recipes there) and it turned out perfect. The biscuits were easy to make and the texture was so tender. The recipe at SK called for blue cheese but I used muenster and I am sure you can you any cheese your heart desires as well. So I followed the SK recipe exactly except for chopping sliced muenster cheese and chopping it to tiny bits. When I took my biscuits out the oven I immediately brushed them with some melted butter, but to save yourself the calories you can definitely leave out that step.


Blue Cheese Scallion Drop Biscuits
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick or 3 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups crumbled blue cheese
4 scallions, finely chopped
1 cup well-shaken buttermilk (or, you can make your own)

Preheat oven to 450°F. Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, then blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in blue cheese and scallions. Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.
Drop dough in 12 equal mounds about 2 inches apart onto a buttered large baking sheet, or one lined with parchment paper. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 16 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment