Friday, January 7, 2011

Barley Oat Pancakes wit Apples in Caramel Rum Sauce


So its January and that means everyone is 7 days into their new years resolutions. The number one resolution amongst Americans is always to "Lose Weight!" I guess that's explains why the gym is packed like money was giving away in there and it also explains why every other advertisement on television is for some form of diet product. In an effort to aid my own fitness efforts I will try to post more diet friendly recipes. While doing some shopping in Whole Foods the other day I wandered into the baking aisle( I know I cant help myself) and came across some barley flour from Arrowhead Mills and it had a recipe for barley oat pancakes. I was shopping for healthier eating options and i thought this would be a great way to make traditional pancakes a little better for you. I picked up the ingredients I would need to make it and headed out the aisle. Yesterday I tried out the recipe on the back but I must say that I cheated a bit and used buttermilk instead of regular milk because I had  extra from Christmas that I didn't want to go bad and throw out, It gave the pancakes a thick fluffy texture and a slight tang. I will post the given recipe on the blog but I'm sure you can use whatever milk you like such as soy or almond milk. Ok so now on to pancake business...so when my first taster (my sis) took a bite she wasn't fond of my new healthy option...gosh its so hard pleasing a pancake purist! My sister suggested I add something to make it more appealing. I didn't have anything other then pancake syrup to dress it with but then I remembered a apple was sitting in the fridge and I had an "Ah Ha" moment and that's when I said I would pair it with apples in a caramel rum sauce.  Caramelizing fruit is something quick and easy to do and can dress up pancakes, french toast, or any breakfast food.  I was also excited to be using the REAL cinnamon that my mom bought back from a recent trip to Trinidad and Tobago(we all know that the widely available cinnamon in most stores is not real cinnamon but a cheap Asian variation that's no where as good as the real thing). Well I could "blah, blah, blah" about these delicious pancakes for hours but its better if I have someone to discuss it with so without further ado here is the recipe so that you all can try it out and we can talk later.

Barley Oat Pancakes
makes 1 serving of double stack pancakes
1/2 cup Arrowhead Mills barley flour
1/2 Arrowhead Mills cup oat flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

- Heat Oven to 200 degrees and line a small pan with a sheet of parchment paper
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until combined
- Cook on lightly oiled medium heat skillet, turning once when edges begin to dry and bubbles form on the surface. This recipe can also be placed in a waffle iron and cooked according to manufacturers directions.
- Place finished pancakes on baking sheet and allow to stay warm while you start to caramelize apples.

Apples in Caramel Rum Sauce
1 apple, peeled, cored and cut into half inch segments ( I used granny smith)
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cinnamon
1 tsp amaretto
1 tbsp rum

- Heat a sauté pan under medium high heat and add butter
- When butter is melted add apples to the pot and and coat with butter
- Add in sugar and cook apples until fork tender
- Sprinkle lemon zest and cinnamon over apples, mix in
- Finish with amaretto and rum, cook one minute more or until thickened
- Turn off and serve on top of the pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment