Monday, January 24, 2011

Brussel Sprouts with Vinegar Glazed Red Onions


Brussel Sprouts often get a bad rap from people even before they try the actual vegetable. I thank kid shows and movies for that! I had it in my head that brussel sprouts was the worst tasting thing in the world thanks to the countless jokes that I heard on  TV.  I tasted brussel sprouts for the first time a few years ago in my culinary one class. To my surprise they were good similar in flavor to cabbage. I have been cooking brussel sprouts at home ever since. Brussel sprouts  can be cooked in a variety of ways like most vegetables but my favorite is to steam them and then saute them quickly. Along with being a quick meal brussel sprouts are high in vitamin A, vitamin C, and dietary fiber. I'm thinking its time you all get with me and try them out, and to make this even better...its their peak season until February! For my Brooklyn readers Brussel Sprouts are available at most Asian/Caribbean markets for under $1.50 a pack(which serves two people). Here is my take on the popular martha stewart recipe:

Brussel Sprouts with Vinegar Glazed Red Onions

1 lb Brussel Sprouts, cored and cut in half
1tbsp unsalted butter 
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, cut in medium dice
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

- Set Bamboo Steam over boiling hot water**.
- Place Brussel sprouts in Steam baskets, cover and let cook until brussel sprouts turn bright green and soften.
- Remove sprouts from steam basket and set in bowl.
- In large saute pan over medium heat  melt butter and olive oil.
- Add onions and balsamic vinegar to oil and cook until onions soften and vinegar is reduced.
- Toss brussel sprouts into onion mixture. 
- Adjust flavor with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.

** I like to steam my veggies to retain maximum nutrients but if you don't own a steamer you can flash cook your sprouts by cooking them in boiling water for a few minutes until they turn bright green, and then placing in a pan filled with with cold water to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment