Monday, May 9, 2011

Gnocchi in Browned Butter and Basil Sauce


I have been intimidated by homemade pasta since I took Culinary 1 my second semester of college. Even with a pasta machine, making fettuccine for class proved to be way more difficult than it looked...I was ready to make a quick run by the corner store and buy some Ronzoni honestly.  That night after class I washed my hands of homemade pasta and just told myself it was easier to buy a box. Fast forward a couple of years to may 2011 and I have decided that my culinary skills have improved enough for me to attempt pasta at home. I don't own a pasta roller as yet so I decided that gnocchi would be a great way to start. I usually buy my gnocchi from Trader Joe's or the various gourmet food stores Downtown Brooklyn, but I thought it would be a good idea to taste how fresh gnocchi would compare to the store bought variety. I found a ricotta gnocchi recipe that had rave reviews at Italian Food Forever which I might add is becoming one of my favorite new blogs to read. Making this recipe was not as difficult as I thought it would have been..in my opinion is was very easy. Finishing this gnocchi with my brown butter sauce is equally as easy and makes for an intensely flavorful pasta entree. This gnocchi was so soft and flavorful, my sister said it was like "little pillows" on her tongue. These were much softer than anything I have bought in store thus far. This made such a delightful part of my mothers day dinner and I am extremely happy that I came upon this recipe, I hope that you will give it a try in your kitchen.
I used a silicone mat to roll my gnocchi on.


Gnocchi in Browned Butter and Basil Sauce
serves 4

1 recipe for Ricotta Gnocchi
3 Tbsp Butter (salted or unsalted)
1/3 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp white truffle oil
1/3 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup fresh chopped basil

- Under medium heat, melt butter in large saute pan. 
- When butter is melted toss in gnocchi, turn up heat to medium-high, and let gnocchi brown on each side.
- When both sides are cooked and butter is browned (not burned) add in wine.
- Cook gnocchi in wine for 30 seconds then add in heavy cream, truffle oil, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Turn heat down on low and cook pasta for 3-5 minutes until liquid is reduced in half.
- Turn off the stove, toss in Parmesan cheese and basil.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and top pasta with additional basil.
- Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. Totally yummy! Btw truffle oil tastes sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does girl! I buy mine at Sahadi's right down town brooklyn and the price is great!

    ReplyDelete