Yesterday was my brother's birthday and it was also Cinco de Mayo. Anyone that knows my brother knows he has a deep love affair with Mexican cuisine. Since we were all little kids he loved to make tacos, burritos, nachos, and the like it was that same passion for Mexican cooking that carried over into his adult life. I figured he would fully indulge in Mexican food after work so I decided to make him cupcakes as a birthday surprise. In honor of the holiday and his taste I decided to go with Tequila and lime flavored cupcakes. The base for the cupcakes is poundcake and the icing I used was a swiss meringue. The recipe I used made six king sized cupcakes but should produce a dozen regular sized cupcakes.
Tequila Lime Cupcakes
adapted from BAKING911.com
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter
4oz cream cheese (half a box)
1 cup sugar
zest of one lime
3 large eggs
- Prepare cupcake pan with liners and heat oven to 325 degrees
- In small bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set to the side.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitter with the paddle attachment, place butter and sugar, beat until softened and combined.
- In the mean time combine your eggs, tequila, vanilla, and lime.
- Check on your butter and add in the cream cheese at this point. Beat butter and cream cheese until combined taking care not to overwhip.
- Make sure to scrape mixing bowl often so that ingredients aren't pooling at the bottom and not getting mixed in.
- Add in egg mixture one yolk at a time, letting 20 seconds pass in between. Only mix two yolks into the mix at this time leaving one for in between flour additions.
- When your two yolks are fully mixed in pour in 2/3 of your flour mixture. Mix until combined.
- Add in your last egg yolk, when absorbed add in your last 1/3 of flour.
- Mix until smooth and stop the mixer.
- Pour batter equally into cupcake liners and bake for 20-30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
adapted from Annies-eats.net
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup + 1tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 tsp tequila
1 tsp lime juice
|My brothers nickname is Goody :)|