Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Honey and Lemon Glazed Roast Chicken

This chicken smelled divine!
If you haven't noticed by the theme of this blog I am a vegetarian or if you want to be technical a pescetarian. A pescetarian  diet is very similar to a vegetarian diet with the exception of still eating fish and other crustaceans...I can hear the strict vegetarians scoffing at me all now.
I went pescetarian in 2003 along with my sister, not for any religious or moral reason but just because. Since then my sister has gone full vegetarian...I'm not sure if I can follow her down that road just as yet, I can do it part time alone. But on to the chicken...so since my sister, mother and I don't eat chicken but we want to make everyone happy we still prepare it for other members of the family and friends. For this specific post my girlfriend Jennice gave me the recipe for her tweaked version of the Food and Wine Magazines Honey and Lemon Glazed Roast Chicken. She decided to help me by giving me her chicken/meat recipes so that my blog could be more well rounded.

Jennice did follow most of the recipe but made some seasoning additions such as:
- using my Homemade Green Seasoning along with the other seasonings the recipe called for. 
- using additional water in the bottom of the baking pan, about 1 cup(stock could also be used)
- a larger roaster style chicken was used instead of three smaller 3 pound chicken. 
- the seasonings were rubbed on top the chickens skin, under the skin, and inside the cavity.


You could choose to follow these simple additions of you can follow the original recipe I will post below, I think either way you will be in for a treat. This recipe goes to show that a few simple and fresh ingredients can produce a spectacular product.

Honey and Lemon Glazed Roast Chicken
www.foodandwine.com
Please excuse my very seasoned pyrex, its been used nonstop for 20yrs.


1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Three 3-pound chickens
Salt
9 large rosemary sprigs
9 garlic cloves, quartered
1 lemon, cut into 12 wedges

- Preheat the oven to 450°. 
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, lemon juice and soy sauce. 
- Set the chickens on a large rimmed baking sheet and tuck the wing tips underneath. 
- Season the cavities with salt and stuff each one with 3 rosemary sprigs, 3 quartered garlic cloves and 4 lemon wedges. 
- Brush two-thirds of the honey glaze over the chickens and season lightly with salt. Roast in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°. 
- Rotate the chickens in the pan and brush with the remaining glaze.
- Roast the chickens for about 45 minutes longer, until the juices run clear when the thighs are pierced; turn the pan halfway through roasting. 
- Transfer the chickens to a carving board and let rest for 15 minutes. 
- Carve the chickens and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment