Sunday, May 8, 2011

Ricotta Cake with Orange Glaze


So for Mothers Day I wanted to try something new and make a completely Italian Dinner and dessert. My mothers wasn't here for me to spend the day with her so I celebrated with the rest of my family. My sister loves Italian food for I knew this would be a treat for her. Before I got into cooking dinner I did the Cake. Ricotta cheese in cake does sound strange to many people being in cake but I assume its the italian equivalent to cream cheese. It can be used in savory dishes such as lasagna and pizza and then in cheesecakes and regular cakes. This cake was one of the best cakes I have tasted the ricotta gives it such a soft texture and just great overall mouth feel! I made my glaze a bit thinner than the original recipe by adding additional fresh orange juice, it added just the right amount of additional sweetness. I will definitely make this cake time and time again.



Ricotta Cake with Orange Glaze
Adapted from www.Italianfoodforever.com


1 1/2 Sticks Unsalted Butter At Room Temperature (6 Ounces)

15 Ounces Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese

1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar

3 Large Eggs

1 Teaspoon vanilla extract

Zest of 1 Large Orange 

1 1/2 Cup All-purpose Flour

2 Teaspoons Baking Powder

1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda

1/2 Teaspoon Salt


For The Lemon Glaze:

2 Cups Powdered Sugar

3 Tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a bunt or ring pan. 
- In a large mixer bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
- Add the ricotta cheese and blend well. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each. 
- Add the extract and orange zest and mix until fully combined. 
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. 
- Add the dry ingredients in two parts, mixing just until incorporated. 
- Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spoon as needed. 
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the cake tester comes out clean. 
- Let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool completely. 
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth and thick.
-  Drizzle the orange glaze over the top of the cake. 
- Let the glaze set for 30 minutes and then cut into wedges and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment